Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ah, August...



Alright, I gotta admit, I do forget to do things on occasion, such as locking the door, feeding my cat, and not sleeping when I should. August to me is a special month, kids go back to school, teens and college brats go for another year of being told what to write, what to do, and when that particular piece that you have written is due...>.>" Not that I like being rebellious, I have a busy mind, it comes and goes, usually going when I need it to come to me when I have something to write. Such is the conclusion of getting an assignment for writing a ten page story on anything you want (mine was five pages), have it done in a month with a rough draft, ideas, etc. So, what do I do? I forget about it, (by accident, I swear) and when the teacher tells us that it's due in five days...Well, I rush, and when I rush on something, ideas fly all over the place, usually it doesn't work out, like that one time when I wrote a story that involved a game I was playing with Hentai material. (In my defense I was trying to stay away from reality and did have too much caffeine on those particular days.)

Anyways, the idea that had come to me involved a guy named Jack, who with his sister and a few friends were going through the zombie apocalypse. See, the problem with this was that you were suppose to put it in  a first person perspective, I came up with the idea for a journal. So now you're probably wondering how that didn't work out, as seeing that when you write something in a journal, it becomes first person, right? (Again in my defense I was rushed, and it was at the last minute type of thing...Don't judge me.) I had combined first person with third person perspective on a few scenes, like blowing things up, or killing things. I did get an A on the thing, which was surprising and my teacher wanted to send the story to a magazine that published amateur, short stories. That didn't happen as all I wanted was to get back to playing around again, oh well. Read it and enjoy, let me know what you think, Chapter two of "Two Minutes Of Terror" should be up shortly, this is going  to be just a filler...


Zombies Are For Chumps
By Justin Thomas

Day One
My life has been turned upside down because of all of  this. Well, maybe I should start from the very beginning. It would be helpful to those that find me dead, and this is all that is left. My name is Jack Nickles. The name is like the famous actor, and I get teased about from my friends. Well, those that are still left. It all happened way before I decided to record all of this. It was a virus that was starting to spread. That was all the Military was saying about it. No one knew it if was airborne or came through the water that we all drank or even a damned insect that was biting people. Whatever happened to those people next was a sad thing to witness. Their skin slowly turned to a ash color, and their eyes became black, no iris, no other color, just black. Their skin became cold and clammy and then the breathing would sound like they were just struggling to take one breath of air.

Then sooner or later they died. It wasn’t an exact science, but as soon as that happened, the bodies came back from the dead. I kid you not. Well after that, it was a world-wide epidemic; the dead people would track you down no matter what. Those horrible moans and that shuffling was something I could never get rid of as I witnessed my mom and dad being eaten as they protected me and my other sister that was one year older than me. It was going to be her birthday the next day. That bloody scene of them being torn apart stayed with me as we were forced to evacuate our home that was all that I had known and to live in buildings and scavenge for food just to survive. Ruthie, (my sister) kept me warm as we huddled in the dark, always fearing that they would come for us next.

A few days after the initial outbreak, a few of my friends were staying in the school that had been closed. This was  due to the government wanting to protect us from the sickness that was being spread around. Ricky, Danny and Faith had managed to stay secure and get blankets for us. I write this now as the moans and shuffles still fill me with dread. Goodnight Journal, perhaps things will look up soon. -Jack

Day Two

God,what happened was just horrible. They were coming right at us, and I didn’t know what to do so I froze. Faith grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the spot I was rooted in, and I ran with her to the others that were in the cafeteria. Ricky and Danny had managed to chain the door and lock it just as they started banging and moaning at us to let them in. My knees buckled, and I looked at the others. Ruthie was holding Faith in her arms as they cried at what might have happened. Inventory was taken, and it didn’t look good. To tired to wonder why, but we might not make it to the end of the week, so much for luck, huh? -Jack

Day Four

We are on rations that should hold us to the end of the second week. The canned food is all we have left after those undead bastards forced us from the gym. We have some water from the ice cubes that had melted. We can only have one cup a day.  A few of the empty classrooms are on the second level. Ricky and Danny are in one room while the girls and I are in the other not that I don’t mind. But this really wasn’t the time to think of all the things I never got to experience in my young life. I was in my second year of high school for crying out loud! Tears are falling from my eyes as I write about this, not that any of this was fair, not for me or anyone, dead or alive. Fuck my life man, can this day get any worse? Wait no, crap, I don’t think I can take that back, I really hope nothing else happens to us. -Jack

Day Nine

I have been putting off writing as it just makes me depressed and nothing really good comes from it. Danny had tried to get out a couple of days ago, and he said he was going to go and bring back food and water. He slipped down out of one of the windows on the second floor; we all watched as a faint hope began to stir in us. Then it happened: an undead shuffled from behind a car and grabbed at him. He yelled which attracted more, and they chased after him. Faith began to cry as she turned away as they trapped him in one of the cars and the broken window allowed them to grab his screaming, crying, body out and devour him. I threw up what little was in my stomach, turned away, and closed the window. May God bless him. Ricky cried that night as did the rest of us, I held my sister and Faith in my arms as I needed to be strong for them.

May the memories of that day not be used to stop us from trying again, but now Ricky has stopped eating and drinking. I knew he was depressed, but I didn’t know that he was thinking about suicide. Hopefully his hunger comes back and he won’t die. Faith has been sleeping next to me after Ruthie falls asleep, and I don’t know what to tell her. She seems to just need me to be with her when she thinks about the bad things like I do. The daylight is fading, and we don’t have anymore electricity for lights. I need to wrap things up and head up to my room to fall asleep again. -Jack

Day Thirteen

I found Ricky asleep on the floor when he didn’t show up for breakfast yesterday. He was curled up in a ball and muttering something. His skin was hot to the touch, and I yelled for Ruthie to get me some water to cool him down. She came and stayed with him during the day and night. Faith was concerned, but I gave her a hug and told her everything was going to be okay. She hugged me back and wouldn’t let go, I sighed and just held her back, not sure what to do with this new development. We watched the sunset go down, and it was just us in the classroom that now felt like it was too big. “Jack?” “Hmm?” “Will you, will you take my virginity?” “Why do you want me to take it?” “Because I love you. I always have. I just never had the heart to tell you until now.” I pulled back and looked into those pretty brown eyes of hers and kissed her.

That night as Danny was dying, I laid Faith down on her back and loved her, showing her that I would try to do whatever it took to show her that I loved her to. And that was the sweetest thing I have ever experienced in my young life, the afterglow of our lovemaking found us kissing and holding our bodies together as we fell asleep. Ruthie was asleep when we woke up in the bright morning light and found Danny dead. I did my best to pray and tried to say the twenty third Psalm. He was then kissed on the forehead by my sister, and we pushed him out the window to those fucking bastards outside. I wrapped my arms around Faith and kissed her as Ruthie wanted to be left alone. We then hugged as we watched the day start to fade. Closing this entry to start again soon. -Jack


Day Fifteen

It seems that in the wake of Danny dying something within Ruthie also died. She still eats which is a huge relief, but she no longer believes we have any more hope left. And is against me trying to get out. Faith is also with my sister, and we make sweet love when Ruthie isn’t around. Our bodies seem to be attracted to one another as I am also growing in love with her more and more. 

Things are starting to get desperate as the food and water is running low, which is why I am still thinking about getting out. I swear I will not let them die in this God- forsaken world without a fight, even though I’m scared about what might happen. The zombies outside are still moaning and shuffling, even Ricky who is missing half of his body, is crawling around. I shudder and hate to think that might be me but I will do something about it. I swear it to whoever decided to try to ruin my life, and I will make them pay, no matter what! I have to go now and take this anger out on a certain woman who is tempting me and I can’t resist. -Jack

Day Twenty-one

Wow, I can’t believe six whole days have gone by, and we’re on the road, heading to God knows where. It was dangerous, it was stupid, but we are all safe, well at least for now. It all started after I laid down for the night and was tired from sweating and groaning from my Faith wanting to go one more time. She seems to have more stamina than I ever thought, and I need a break or else I might just go dry. After she had fallen asleep and her breathing was steady but slow, I got up and was dressed as I checked in on Ruthie who had fallen asleep after crying in the room that Danny died.

I made a promise before and I would not break that, not even if all of Hell came against me, I was going to get to that market.. With my fearful heart beating loudly in my chest and a empty backpack, I used the second story window and landed feet first in the warm night. Looking around for anything that wanted to eat me, I started to walk and dodged a few close calls after ducking under the cars when a couple undead were shuffling by, moaning and being useless bastards.
I sighed, as this was getting tedious, but I was soon in the middle of town. Signs creaked and buildings were falling into disrepair faster than I thought. But I always kept a sharp eye out for them and managed to safely pass a huge crowd that was going nowhere. I soon spied the market and had to duck under cars as the undead seemed to be more aware of me and had to wait.

I was soon in and the place was ransacked. Very few things were left but I managed to fill up the backpack with water and canned food. I was on my way back when the same crowd that I had passed earlier was standing still, and I felt like they were waiting for me. My heart was ablaze with hate and passion and a tear ran down my eye, I would do whatever I needed to so that I could come back to those that were depending on me. “COME ON YOU FUCKING BASTARDS! LETS SEE WHO EATS WHO!” I yelled louder and harder than I ever thought and as more tears fell down, I was more pissed than anything in my life. The crowd came out me with those stupid, sickening moans, and it seemed that I was going to have to make true my words and promise. A image of Faith and Ruthie alone and dying alone fueled me as I started to run, not caring where I was going.

A fence was in front of me as I was running low on leg strength and, on the other side was a car lot. A couple of blocks running with a heavy backpack filled with precious cargo isn’t easy, especially if the people behind you want to eat you. What great fucking luck! I yelled and climbed over it ripping my clothes and skin not caring about the pain and landed on the other side. Breathing heavily with a sharp pain in my side and eyes filled with hate for those that were now starting to rattle the fence. It wouldn’t hold long, and I needed to get away fast. A large black truck caught my attention and I ran to the building and smashed the window with one of the can’s of food.I really had no clue where the keys would be for the beast but I was getting desperate. Running to a giant board filled with keys, I ran my hands over the keys looking and just grabbed a key that seemed like it would work.

Running to the truck I saw the fence get pushed over and the crowd coming at me. I really don’t know if the higher forces decided to grant me something or I was just damn lucky, but I was in that truck and starting it up as they came crashing against the windows. I just pushed the gas pedal down and floored it, running them over and anything else over in my wake. Driving was harder than I thought, and I almost hit a few poles but got out of the way just in time. Getting to the school with the horn blaring, two of the most pretty women I had ever seen yelled out the window, and I rescued them after they jumped out and played dodge with the zombies. I was greeted by kisses and “Lets goes” s I floored it again, and we got out of town. Now maybe our luck is looking up. We’ll see, huh?
-Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment