Sunday, September 8, 2013

Rain, rain come again...

Well, it's dark outside, it's raining, and I am looking into a computer screen with nothing else to do except go insane and write random stories. This is a short story, not really up to my standards of writing at all, but I really can't think of anything else to go with it. Oh well, give me feedback, let me know what you think, and enjoy a good cup of cocoa, or whatever you like. Also, please remember that I do commissions for anyone that wants a story done for what they need or want. Contact me and let's talk. Thanks.


Red
By Justin Thomas

Why? Why does it hurt so much? What… What did I do wrong? Nana was right, I should of listened to her, she told me that is wasn’t safe in these woods… Stupid wolf, this is all of his fault, stupid mutt, getting all horny about seeing me in my new red cloak that Nana had given me for my birthday, damn thing is torn too… Is it raining? Oh God! It is raining! Shit! I er, never mind, Nana never did like that language too much. A tree! If only the… Yes! It’s hollow, ah, that feels much better.

I look up at the sky, the clouds, are a rolling black, menacing to look at, the rain is coming down like stones thrown from Heaven. My arm feels tender and as I examine it, fresh tears sting my eyes; the bite is deeper than I thought it was, and blood still flows freely from my wound. The skin around the bite is rough and jagged, I growl in annoyance and in pain, tearing off some of my cloak from the bottom, I grit my teeth, focus, and wrap the cloth around my wound tightly, bringing with it fresh tears. Leaning back against the hollow in the tree I sniffle, wishing this was all a dream, wanting this nightmare to be no more, being on the run from a homicidal wolf that has a craving for female flesh is enough to want to scream and walk up, safe.

A distant howl makes me shiver more, wrapping my torn cloak around me, I feel a little light headed, it has to be recovering from shock, and my arm seems to hurt more. A glance tells me that my blood had already darkened my crimson wrapping. I shake my head, loosening more my long black hair, which gets in the way of my green eyes. I close them; right now I would rather hide my slender five foot, six inch frame. At a hundred and thirty pounds I was no match for that large wolf, thank God for that stick… His bushy white fur should have been my first warning that he was the one that was the danger in these woods. The second warning should have been when he started talking in that low, raspy voice of his, I guess all wolves sound like that, but I never want to find out. I should of started running, a mistake as I was curious; I never before had a wolf tell me how pretty I looked, or how good I smelled… Oh Father in Heaven, I never want to see those cunning yellow eyes ever again, please, get me out of here…

The storm is starting to get worse, my view of outside is ruined, making me even more worried about the wolf sneaking up on me. Every flash of lightning followed by the crash of thunder is doing nothing from making me fleeing from my temporary shelter. Even now, after running farther deeper into the woods, I realize with a sinking feeling that I’m lost, lost, wounded, and fearing for my life. I’m scared, I’m so scared, never wanting this in the first place, my arm is starting to ache again, I can’t sleep…

I hit my head hard against the tree, awake, cold, I suddenly realize that it’s stopped raining, everything is quiet, even the wind doesn’t make a tree shake its branches. My heart skips a beat, nothing, at least the darkness is alleviated with the half moon, my night vision barely picks out the fallen debris as I emerge from my shelter, and my breath makes itself known in the weak moonlight as I gently nurse my arm. It’s stiff, I cradle it gently as I start to walk slowly, I still feel light headed, not wanting to fall over I take smaller steps. But even as I try to walk quietly my heart jumps at every sound I make, thinking that the wolf will hear me as the wet grass and mall branches give me away. My breathing is too loud, surely the wolf will hear that, more tears flow as I shiver, and a sob nearly rents itself from my weakened body. I have to be strong, even if I don’t feel like it…




The wind starts to blow, the crisp, clean air isn’t helping me to keep warm, the breeze feels like ice when it snows, and I start to shiver harder. I stop suddenly when I hear a howl perks my ears, the hairs on my skin stand straight up.
I feel like a rabbit when it hears a predator, small, helpless, and not knowing where my doom is going to come from. I shift my gaze around me, nothing moves, nothing seems to be alive, but I know he’s out there, somewhere, I can feel his gaze on me, watching me, knowing that I can’t see him.

I sniffle as I feel really alone out here, abandoned, not even God seems to be here with me, He’s left me to die in this forest. I take a tentative, small step forward, then another, ready to run at the slightest hint that the wolf is there. But I can still feel that lofty gaze caressing my body, savoring the moment, waiting patiently, and enjoying this. I start to move faster, no clear directions on where I’m going, all I know is that I have to get out of here, far away from this evil forest, and the wolf. I silently wish that I can see my cabin, walk inside, where Nana is waiting for me, knowing that she would help me get warm, tend to my wound, and tell me that everything is going to alright, that it’s all going to be fine…

Hours seem to go by since I’ve left my hollow tree, the one place where I felt safe in these woods. It’s still quiet, not even the night animals are making any noise, what I would give to hear the owl make its call, but their all asleep, safe, and snug in their homes. I stop and lean against a tree to strengthen my weakened state. Glancing down to make sure my next step wouldn’t be in a puddle I stop, my heart freezes in my chest, my blood is like ice as I take a step backwards and fall down.
My mouth opens as I scream, and scream for my dear Nana, the one who was supposed to protect me, the one who was supposed to tell me that everything was going to fine, that this was all a nightmare. I scream for my Nana who will now never come.

I gag as I turn away from the grisly sight, her throat was ripped open, blood still seeped from her wounds sluggishly, and her insides were strewn about, seemingly like in celebration. Her lantern was broken, thrown against a tree as I look again, not wanting to believe that my Nana is dead. Her eyes are wide and glassy, her mouth opened to let out a scream that will now never be uttered, forever in a state of surprise and terror. The wolf was here… He had killed her… I start sobbing uncontrollably, not caring if I was killed right then and there, my mind unwilling to comprehend what it was seeing… My Nana, dead… No! No! No! This can’t be right! I turn away as I vomit from not being able to breathe, my tears blinding me as I wipe them away, and shiver more as I hear soft laughter…

“My, my, I see you found my present, a shame though, she didn’t even fight back at all. Maybe it was because I scared her stiff.” The wolf said as he appeared from the shadows and laid next to her corpse, and nuzzled her head gently, licking her wound tenderly, mocking me with his show of power. His tail wagged as he watched me, amused at my reaction with disgust and horror. I tried to speak, but a fresh sob escaped me, he continued to watch, seeming to smile at my plight. “Now, now, my darling Red.” He chuckled as he got up and got closer. “Even if you weren’t injured, or cold, I could still outrun you, that branch hurt, and I always get my revenge.” He growled in my ear, my shivering increased as I knew this was it, I was going to die right here, I closed my eyes waiting to die. I could feel his fur brush against me as he circled me slowly, and I nearly cried out as I felt his hot breath against my cheek.

“P-Please.” I whisper as I cry more, shaking with terror as I felt him nip my neck. “Ohh.” He cooed. “Is my little Red scared?” I nod as I open my eyes, staring back into his merciless yellow ones. “Good.” With that he pushed me forward onto my back, knocking some of the air out of my body and into the face of my dead Nana. I couldn’t help but scream in terror as I felt his hot breath on the back of my neck, and his teeth tearing into my flesh.


My consciousness began to fade as I managed to hear a crunching sound, all my pain, and sadness leaving me. A faint smile crossed my face, as I was now free, free from my cage of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment